Sunday 21 August 2011

Last 10 things seen at the theatre: #007

No comment.


List the last 10 things you saw at the theatre in order:
1. Double Feature 1 (National; Paintframe)
2. London Road (National; Cottesloe)
3. Emperor and Galilean (National; Olivier)
4. A Woman Killed with Kindness (National; Lyttelton)
5. Luise Miller (Donmar Warehouse)
6. Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Theatre Royal Haymarket)
7. Lend Me a Tenor (Gielgud)
8. Doctor Faustus (Shakespeare's Globe)
9. Henry IV Part 2 (Theatre Royal Bath)
10. Henry IV Part 1 (Theatre Royal Bath)

Who was the best performer in number one (Double Feature 1)?
I think I'll go with Kirsty Bushell. Oh, or Richard Hope. It was a double bill, I'm allowed to pick two!

Why did you go to see number two (London Road)?
I loved it so much when I saw it the first time that I couldn't resist the chance to see it again. Especially when it turned out I could get a ticket in row T!

Can you remember a line/lyric from number three (Emperor and Galilean) that you liked?
No. I'm not very good with lines.

What would you give number four (A Woman Killed with Kindness) out of ten?
Um... a 4. It was not without its good points, but ultimately was just not very good.

Was there someone hot in number five (Luise Miller)?
Paul Higgins and Alex Kingston have all the hotness covered between them, I think.

What was number six (Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead) about?
A pair of minor Shakespeare characters giving it their best Didi and Gogo.

Who was your favourite actor in number seven (Lend Me a Tenor)?
I feel awful, but I can't remember his name. He was the understudy Tito Merelli, and he was BRILLIANT.

What was your favourite bit in number eight (Doctor Faustus)?
WRATH. But I enjoyed all of Doctor Faustus a LOT.

Would you see number nine (Henry IV Part 2) again?
In a heartbeat. I can't resist a History, and it was a fine production.

What was the worst thing about number ten (Henry IV Part 1)?
This old man left his mobile phone switched on, and it went off noisily in the first half. Naughty old man!

Which was best?
It's mostly been a very good batch! Double Feature 1 might just win, due to the unfair advantage it has of being two superb plays, while everything else can only ever be one superb play, or even half a superb play depending on how you count the Henry IVs.

Which was worst?
A Woman Killed with Kindness. Even though I personally liked the production a fair amount, I've seen most of the cast do better work, and the play itself was HORRIBLE.

Did any make you cry?
I'm going through a weepy phase at the moment. Both parts of Double Feature 1 made me tear up, London Road had me sniffling from start to finish, and Emperor and Galilean involved a lot of sad eyes.

Did any make you laugh?
Oh yes! Double Feature 1, both parts, London Road, probably Emperor and Galilean, definitely Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, Lend Me a Tenor was a laff riot, and Doctor Faustus and the Henry IVs always have their moments.

Which roles would you like to play in any of them?
I'd love to be in the Henry IVs one day, even it's just an ostler or something. And I LOVED Edgar and Annabel (of Double Feature 1) such an extreme amount that if the opportunity arose to be a part of it, I couldn't POSSIBLY turn it down!

Which one did you have best seats for?
In spite of drama and rage, I rather liked my seat for Double Feature 1, though it was slightly better for Edgar and Annabel than The Swan. I also had a superb seat for Emperor and Galilean. I thought sitting close up for this play wouldn't be a good idea, but I was SO WRONG.

3 comments:

  1. So nice to hear a great review for my favourite actor, Richard Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The understudy to Tito Merelli as in the understudy to the actor playing that part, or the understudy in the story (ie Max played by Damian Humbley)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pharaoh: the real life understudy to the actor who would normally have been playing the part. XD

    Anonymous: he's great! Such an understated but surprisingly moving performance in this. :)

    ReplyDelete