In honour of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 coming out this weekend, and inspired by Rev Stan, I have done a count up of how many Harry Potter movie cast members I have seen in shows. While I'm here, I will say I don't feel especially bereft by the movie saga finally being over after ten years. For me, the story came to an end with the final pages of the final book. I knew what happened. I had my closure. The movies are just a nice added extra. But I have enjoyed watching them and got FAR more of a kick out of compiling this list than I should have. So here it is! (With occasional commentary, but not for everyone.)
By the way, you all should totally do this yourselves. Here is an almost definitive list of cast members. Link to your posts when you've finished!
1. Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) - Equus
The man himself! Yes, I have seen Harry Potter's magic wand. (And, thanks to the touring production, when I eventually get around to counting up Game of Thrones cast members I've seen in plays, I've seen Theon Greyjoy's too!)
2. Carolyn Pickles (Charity Burbage) - Fram
I saw Fram one evening after seeing Gone With the Wind in the afternoon. While it's probably impressive that I still go to the theatre after such a day, I personally thank Gone With the Wind for causing me to enjoy Fram a lot more than I would have on any other day.
3. Michael Gambon (Albus Dumbledore) - No Man's Land
I will always miss Richard Harris, but I do think Gambon's portrayal was closer to the flawed mentor of at least the latter books than Harris's was shaping up to be.
4. David Bradley (Argus Filch) - No Man's Land, Moonlight
Considering how brilliant David Bradley is, I will always feel shame at never having heard of him prior to his casting as Filch. (Hey, it's Walder Frey!)
5. Zoe Wanamaker (Madam Hooch) - Much Ado About Nothing, All My Sons, The Cherry Orchard
6. Kenneth Branagh (Gilderoy Lockhart) - Ivanov
I'll never understand how he wasn't nominated for the Olivier award for his work in Ivanov. Actually, I have a theory, but it is a crazy conspiracy theory, so perhaps we'd better move on.
7. Gemma Jones (Madam Pomfrey) - Richard III
8. Miriam Margolyes (Professor Sprout) - Wicked
9. Jessie Cave (Lavender Brown) - Arcadia
I LOVED Arcadia. SO MUCH. Though Thomasina Coverley is a surprisingly difficult role to play well.
10. Hugh Mitchell (Colin Creevey) - Arcadia
11. Isabella Laughland (Leanne) - Greenland
Yes, she did indeed fly about the stage in a shopping trolley. In several directions! And we don't know why!
12. Alfred Enoch (Dean Thomas) - Henry V
I'm especially pleased with this catch. It was a student production of Henry V that found its way to the Trafalgar Studios. Unable as I am to resist a History, it took me a little while to work out why Westmoreland looked familiar, but OH how I (silently) laughed to myself when I twigged!
13. Kathryn Hunter (Mrs Figg) - Antony and Cleopatra, King Lear
14. George Harris (Kingsley Shacklebolt) - Frankenstein
VERY POINTEDLY NO COMMENT. IF YOU SAW FRANKENSTEIN YOU'LL UNDERSTAND.
15. Natalia Tena (Tonks) - The Cleaning Joke, Othello
16. Ralph Fiennes (Voldemort) - God of Carnage
17. Suzie Toase (Alecto Carrow) - Into the Woods
18. David Tennant (Barty Crouch Jr) - Love's Labour's Lost, Hamlet, Much Ado About Nothing
19. Jason Isaacs (Lucius Malfoy) - The Dumb Waiter
20. Helen McCrory (Narcissa Malfoy) - The Late Middle Classes
Is there any right-thinking person in the world who doesn't love Helen McCrory?
21. Sian Thomas (Amelia Bones) - Fram
22. Kate Fleetwood (Mary Cattermole) - Macbeth, Life is a Dream, London Road
I love Kate Fleetwood nearly as much as I love her husband.
23. Steffan Rhodri (Reg Cattermole) - Clybourne Park
24. Roger Lloyd-Pack (Barty Crouch Sr) - Dealer's Choice
25. Jeff Rawle (Amos Diggory) - Fram
SERIOUSLY, WHAT IS WITH HARRY POTTER CAST MEMBERS AND FRAM?
26. Sophie Thompson (Mafalda Hopkirk) - Clybourne Park, Company in concert
27. Guy Henry (Pius Thicknesse) - Twelfth Night
28. Imelda Staunton (Dolores Umbridge) - A Delicate Balance
29. Harry Melling (Dudley Dursley) - Mother Courage and her Children, Women Beware Women, The School for Scandal
30. Fiona Shaw (Petunia Dursley) - London Assurance, Mother Courage and her Children
31. Richard Griffiths (Vernon Dursley) - Equus, The Habit of Art
Is it irony that Richard Griffiths replaced Michael Gambon in The Habit of Art, when Michael Gambon in the context of this list is himself a famous replacement?
32. Ian Kelly (Mr Granger) - The Pitmen Painters
33. Michelle Fairley (Mrs Granger) - Othello, Dancing at Lughnasa
Oh look, Catelyn Stark!
34. Jim Norton (Mr Mason) - The Seafarer
35. Frances de la Tour (Madame Maxime) - The Habit of Art
36. Toby Jones (Dobby) - Every Good Boy Deserves Favour
37. Lenny Henry (Shrunken Head) - Othello
Yes, this totally counts. Also, I enjoy how this is the third different production of Othello in this post. I've got a Desdemona, an Emilia, and the Moor himself!
Additionally, the producers cast Tony Coburn as the young Lucius Malfoy, filmed a scene with him, but then cut him from the finished film. I have been in a production of Twelfth Night with Tony, so that's 38 if you're willing to be generous with your counting!
Cast members I have yet to see in plays but would REALLY LIKE TO: Maggie Smith, Jim Broadbent, Alan Rickman, Gary Oldman, Brendan Gleeson, and Julian Glover (so I can stop getting him confused with Paul Freeman). Now that your Warner Brothers funded meal ticket has come to an end, chaps, get thee back on the stage, please!